About Us - History
Alexandria Bible Church was founded in 1828 and has played a significant role in the life of the city of Alexandria throughout its 180-year history.
The church building was built in historic Old Town, on North Washington Street, adjacent to Christ Church.
The origin of the church can be traced to the evangelical reformation of the 1700's in England and was, in its original form, a blend of Episcopal and Methodist denominations. The founder, Mr. Thomas Jacobs, as well as many other members, were previously congregants of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church of Alexandria.
In 1828, the year John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died, a split occurred within the denomination over a desire for greater independence of the American pastorate from English bishops as well as a greater responsibility for the laity. A leader of this movement, Mr. Thomas Jacobs, had long sought the independence of American pastors and lay persons from the control of the English clergy, and in doing so, he helped found the church in 1828. One year later, a pastor was called, and two years later, in 1830, land was purchased at 110 North Washington Street and a building was erected.
Also in 1830, this new denomination became formally known as the Methodist Protestant Church, which grew rapidly in Northern Virginia. The Alexandria congregation was among the largest and was able to support a pastor full-time.
Theologically, Alexandria Bible Church has stood on the side of conservative Protestant orthodoxy and Biblical inerrancy throughout its history.
In 1938, the church - then still a member of the Methodist denomination - broke away in protest against the liberal views of the denomination as a whole, standing firmly in favor of the inerrancy of Scripture and the doctrine of the deity of Jesus Christ. For the next 10 years, the church was independent. In 1948, the church united with the Bible Protestant Conference of churches. In 1988, the church name was changed to Alexandria Bible Church to better reflect doctrine.
The current church building was completed in 1953, and four years later, by God's grace, the mortgage was fully paid. Alexandria Bible Church has continued to operate debt-free since that time.
Alexandria Bible Church is a reformed congregation with a significant historical past and an unwavering commitment to the inerrancy, authority, and sufficiency of Scripture.